Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"That is not dead, which can Eternal lie..."


I figured I'd take a post and talk about one of my favorite SL hangout places. It's called the Shrine of Cthulhu, in Park sim on the southern mainland. Admittedly, it's not a kid-centric place. But, I am a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft, the author to which the Shrine is dedicated. And the owners certainly don't mind having me around.

The Shrine is owned and operated by Taliesin Morgath. He and his partner SandyZ Flores (congrats, you two!) are also big fans of H.P. - maybe even more than I am, if that's possible - and I think they've done quite a decent job in lending a Lovecraftian atmosphere to the place.

As it currently exists, the Shrine is a series of buildings, each depicting a scene from one of Lovecraft's short stories. Each "exhibit", as it were, contains a portrait of Lovecraft which, when clicked, will give you a copy of the particular story depicted in notecard form (yes, the whole story!). Of course, things often change, and Taliesin is often building a new addition or replacing some old ones. If I know anything about him, it's that he likes to build. And he builds well and fast.

The Shrine is also home to the Cthulhu Club, a sort of gothic-themed dance club, and a similarly-themed mini shopping mall.

Sandy and Taliesin are the first adult friends I made as a kid avatar in SL. Although their Shrine certainly wasn't made with kid av's in mind, and although I'm not goth, they've really made me feel welcome there. They invited me to a party the very day I met them, in fact. And such of the group members as I've met so far don't have a problem with me either. Curiously, this puts my experience at odds with some advice I've been given about adults by other kid av's that have been in SL much longer than I have. That advice, and related stuff, will be the subject of my next blog post.

For now - check out the Shrine!

Shrine of Cthulhu

1 comment:

SandyZ Flores said...

Well that's a big lie... I don't like him at all!! He's a bad, bad boy! Imagine that! Yesterday cody did n't let me win at the slug race!!!
hehehe

The truth is that Cody is not someone we have to tolarate at the Shrine. He's one of us there and I don't think we really care about his looks. He can be a huge gelly, a prim or a kid. The most important thing is what's behide that avatar. A good friend, someone who's always there to help and a crazy man ready to have fun with us.